Friday, March 16

Driving Thoughts.


I didn’t sleep much this night. Kathleen and I went to bed around three and my roommates woke me up around 6:30 because they were anxious to get back on the road and headed home. Kathleen woke up when we did because she wanted to say goodbye and give a good hug because we aren’t sure when we will cross paths again. I absolutely hated leaving her.I was an emotional wreck for the next three hours of driving. Kelli and Hallie slept in the back while Ashley took co-pilot and listened, as I was an endless spout of words. 

It is hard for me to explain so I do not know why I try but it feels better to try to get the words out. The bond and relationship that I share with Kathleen is one that I will never take for granted nor will I forget about. I have such a hard time leaving that person because of the history we have and the way we are. 

I said it again and again in my New Zealand blog but the relationship you are able to build and share with someone that you barely know just from travelling with them is incredible. In some aspects I feel closer to Kathleen than I do to people that I have been friends with and known for years. It still to this day amazes me how quickly that bond was formed and how strong it was and still is. 

She picked me up during my lowest days and was there during my best. The time that we shared in New Zealand is a once in a lifetime experience that could never be replicated and I would never ask for it to be. I only got to really spend four months with Kathleen but she understood me better than some of my friends back home and was able to bring out a person in me that I loved. Someone who was so strong and fearless and happy. And the person she was and is, is truly inspiring. She has the ability to turn any cloudy day into a sunny one and turn any dull moment into a fun one. She gives you a promise that there will be light at the end of the tunnel. I will never forget the time we were sitting at Bean's flat after the break up and I was sad and emotional, Kathleen went over to the computer and turned on 'Lean on Me' and gave me a hug. It was little moments like these that made such an impact on my life even if they seem like small silly moments to others. 

Something that her mom told me that I don’t think I will forget, “You guys were meant to find each other because you needed each other. You helped each other to get through that journey” I think back to my time abroad and think about how hurt I was by some of the events that took place, but then I think about if none of that hurt would have happened I wouldn’t have found such a truly great lifetime friend. Leaving her for the second time was almost harder than leaving her the first time. When I get back to Minneapolis it feels like a part of me is still missing because I have not necessarily found that same connection that I had with her, that special, once in a lifetime friendship. Something that pulled me through my darkest days and weakest moments but didn’t leave my side after those dark days were gone but instead continually made each day brighter. I will forever cherish the friendship with Kathy and I cannot wait until we are able to see each other again. She is truly the epitome of what a good friend should be and as the Little Rascals taught us,
 “You only meet your once in a lifetime friends, once in a lifetime.” 


No comments: