Friday, March 23

Hunger Games Review.


I was super excited and pumped to attend the mid-night premier of the Hunger Games! However, over all I have decided that I am not one for midnight premiers. Frankly, I was just annoyed by every single person in the movie theater. Annoying 16-year-olds doing cartwheels doing the aisles, singing Happy Birthday, and over all just being obnoxious. Yes, I was also wondering when did I become so cynical, old, and crabby? In my self-defense I had put in 14 hour day previous to this movie so I was a little worn out. 

Anyway, about the movie- I regret to inform that I was surprisingly disappointed by the movie. Perhaps I had built it up too much in my head, perhaps it was my crabby-ness from the day, or perhaps it just sucked, in any event I wasn’t that big of a fan. :/  The books are so near and dear to me that it was going to take a flawless movie to beat the images and story that I had created in my own mind. And let’s face it; books are almost ALWAYS better than any dumb movie. Who wants a bunch of Hollywood people depicting your imagination for you? Not me.

My first issue with the movie was simply that this book is too detailed and too much inside of Katniss’ mind for a movie to depict. Although the author, Suzanne Collins, helped write the movie script I still think they could have done a better job with that. The characters were not very developed as they were in the book. In the book we are able to meet and understand Katniss’ love for Rue, in the movie she has about ten minutes of screen time before being killed off.

The movie reminded me of The Blair Witch Project, the way the camera would shake around. I had one friend who had to leave the movie within thirty minutes because of motion sickness. I also found it very uncomfortable to watch.

Another complaint about the movie is it’s pace. In the book the actual games make up a majority of the book- however, in the movie that part seemed too fast and did not depict the games in a sense of terror that it was.

I also wish that they had shown more of a Gale aspect. Not to play up a love triangle so that people have God forbid “teams” i.e.; Team Peeta and Team Gale, this isn’t Twilight please let’s not do it. But nonetheless it is a love triangle and the movie did not give Gale much of a chance. In her novels Suzanne writes about how much Katniss is thinking back to Gale and struggling with the choice between the two men. Gale hardly had screen time in this movie. Perhaps I am partial to Gale because I loved his character but as a friend of mine suggested they could have at least shown some flashbacks to show how much she thought about him as she did in the book.

Like I said, these are just a few of my complaints about the movie. It very well could have been my crabby-ness to look at this movie in such a negative light. Or it may have just been that the books are amazing and I didn’t like when they took away my imagination for what the characters look like, talk like, act like. Either way, I decided I will give the movie another chance and go and see it sometime when there aren’t 16-year-olds running around.

For now though, the odds were definitely not in this movie’s favor.  


No comments: